Golf claps to me for getting out of bed and going for a run this morning. I’m really hoping that September sees me into a running routine that mirrored July. I am not impressed with my August running self. Nope. Not one bit.
I’m so glad I went this morning though. Despite the heatwave that we are currently in right now, 6:30 this morning was glorious! Warm, but not hot with a cool breeze on my face. Perfect. To top it off, the sun was a perfectly round red ball in the sky. At one point in my run, as I crested over the hill, I could see the sun rising to greet me…it looked, as my toddler daughter would say, like a “firepit in the sky.”
Alas, I was a tad distracted this morning. I blame my husband. Yup, I just said that on the Internet. Last week, my husband told me he ran by a snake on the part of his route I take regularly. See, the thing is I have a pretty big fear of snakes. In fact, there may be a story out there involving me screaming in a public place at a stuffed snake (dang, that thing looked real!).
So apparently this snake was dead…but still, husband’s theory was that he best tell me so I wouldn’t freak out. His honestly really only resulted in me not running for 10 days and when I finally got up the guts to go, instead of looking up and enjoying the scenery as I normally do, my eyes were firmly planted on the ground, watching out for anything remotely snake-like. Did you know there are many objects on the side of the road that look like a snake? I do…as I found myself jumping out onto the middle of the road quite often. My point: ignorance is bliss is a cliche for a reason and I was quite happy living in my non-snake happy la-la land.
So I was distracted. Perhaps that isn’t abnormal though, as my thoughts wander quite often when I run. Do you find that you focus on one big thought/project/daydream when you run, or are you like me and all over the place? Here’s a sampling of some of the thoughts going through my head this morning:
- Is that a snake? (stick)
- What projects do I want to work on today?
- What animal is that? (mouse…roadkill #1 of 3 for the morning)
- Is that a snake? (rope)
- Geez, this roadside is dirty—pick up your trash people!
- What’s up with all the banana peels? (I see them all the time.)
- Is that a snake? (purple straw)
- Where are the cows? Lazy cows…
- Where’s that roadkill I passed earlier?
- Is that a snake? (another purple straw—what are the odds?)
- Hey jerk! (said at motorist who refused to drive on opposite side of road, even though no cars were near, forcing me off the road completely). Okay maybe I didn’t say “jerk” but this is a family blog and I will keep it clean for the kids.
- Is that a snake? (more rope. where’s all the rope coming from?)
Anyway, random thoughts aside, my run was pretty good. I ran my typical route, allowing for a bit of a walking break for my knee mid-way. I almost ran out of steam about 500m from the end, but instead of quitting, I pictured my virtual running trainer (coblogger Jen) beside me telling me I can do it. (I’m serious Jen—this image easily came to mind.)
And to keep me motivated, I thank you Matt & Kim: